BioShock 2 is a survival horror first-person shooter video game, being developed by 2K Marin and 2K Australia for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 video game consoles, and the Windows operating system. It is the sequel to the critically-acclaimed 2007 video game BioShock. The game is scheduled for release on February 9, 2010 across all platforms.
The game is set in fictional dystopian city Rapture, a decade after the events of BioShock in alternative history 1970. The protagonist and player-controlled character is a Big Daddy, a being who has had its organs and skin grafted into an atmospheric diving suit. The first of its kind, the player-controlled Big Daddy reactivates with no recollection of the past decade's events, and scours the city in a vain attempt to relocate the Little Sister that he was paired with. When it becomes obvious that Rapture's leader Sofia Lamb will become responsible for the city's destruction, the Big Daddy attempts to overthrow Ms Lamb and her army of Big Sisters.
Set on New Years Eve of 1970, ten years after the events of BioShock, Rapture is now under the control of a woman named Sofia Lamb, whose ideas of human progression contrasts with the city's founder, Andrew Ryan. While Ryan believed in the genius of the individual, Lamb believes in collective effort and the power of the community, as well as a philosophy surrounding butterfly imagery, indicating some kind of rebirth. This message is spread by a deranged ex-priest, who has created a cult-like religion around Sofia. Additionally, to maintain order in the city, Lamb has created an army of Big Daddy-like enforcers called Big Sisters. Sofia has dispatched these Big Sisters to abduct little girls from towns on the Atlantic Coast and bring them back to Rapture to create new Little Sisters. On New Years Eve, the prototype Big Daddy from the original production lines, who is known as Subject Delta, re-activates with no recollection of what's happened in the past ten years. After scouring the city in a vain attempt to find the Little Sister he was originally paired with, he realizes that Sofia Lamb will lead Rapture even closer to destruction. This leads him to form an uneasy partnership with Doctor Tenenbaum and the former CEO of the plasmid company, Sinclair Solutions, Augustus Sinclair, in order to overthrow Lamb and her army of Big Sisters
BioShock 2 will feature a story driven Multiplayer mode where the player takes on the role of a citizen of Rapture. Set in 1959 (one year before the events of BioShock), the player chooses to take on the role of a citizen fighting in Rapture's Civil War. The player is being sponsored by Plasmid manufacturer, Sinclair Solutions, to test out their weapons, Plasmids, and Tonics in a consumer reward program. As you progress through the multiplayer experience your character will unlock new weapons and Plasmids, provided by Sinclair, as well as progress the story of the Rapture Civil War.
The player can choose between 6 characters to be their in game avatar. The characters are: a welder named Jacob Norris, a housewife named Barbara Johnson, a football star named Danny Wilkins, a businessman name Buck Raleigh, a pilot named Naledi Atkins, and an Indian mystic named Suresh Sheti. Two additional characters are available only by pre-ordering the game from GameStop or EB Games: a fisherman named Zigo d'Acosta and an actress named Mlle Blanche de Glace. As your character levels up and progresses through the multiplayer story their appearance will become more and more deformed due to splicing.
Multiplayer will come in 5 different modes, two of which have a single and team based mode. The modes are:
- Survival of the Fittest: A 'free-for-all' mode where each player gets points for killing each of the other players. Whichever player has the most kills at the end of the match wins.
- Civil War: Similar to 'Survival of the Fittest,' but in this mode players are divided into two teams and the team with the most collective kills at the end of the match wins.
- Last Splicer Standing: A variation of 'Survival of the Fittest' where the player does not respawn after being killed. The last player alive at the end of the match is the winner.
- Capture the Sister: A 'Capture the Flag' style mode where players are divided into two teams. One team has to protect a Little Sister while the other team tries to steal her and place her in a vent on the other side of the map. After a pre-determined amount of time, the teams switch roles. Whichever team has the most captures at the end of the match wins.
- ADAM Grab: In this mode there is one Little Sister on the map and the player must seek her out and maintain possession of her as long as possible. Whoever has held onto the Sister longest at the end of the match wins.
- Team ADAM Grab: A variant of 'ADAM Grab' where players are divided into two teams. The objective is the same, but victory is determined by a collective score rather than individual scores.
- Turf War: Players are split into two teams and each team must reach pre-determined points on the map to capture that point. The team with the most control points over the longest time wins.
In all modes except 'Capture the Sister' a Big Daddy suit will spawn at a random location in the level. If a player can find the suit, the choice is given to become the Big Daddy, which will give the player greater strength and endurance, but prohibits the use of plasmids. Once the Big Daddy is defeated, the suit disappears and is moved to another location on the map. In 'Capture the Sister' one member of the defending team is chosen at Random to be the Big Daddy.